2. Jesus said that he was the Messiah they were waiting for.( V26)
3. By then his disciples came and marvelled at him talking to that woman, but nobody asked him why he was talking to her. (V27)
4. She left her pot there and ran into the city telling the men to come and see Christ and that he told her everything she did. (V28,29)
5. And all the men came to see him. ( V30)
6. Meanwhile the disciples asked of Christ to eat food. (V31)
7. BUT Christ said there is a meat that they knew not and that is to do the will of God who sent him and to finish his work. ( v32-34)
1. Many a times we wait for a Messiah to come and tell us what to do. But we least realise that the Messiah has already come and he is amongst us. (V25, 26)
A. Many of us know but yet we choose to forsake the living waters.
For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.
B. We also can hew out cisterns that cannot hold the living waters.
We are those Earthern vessels that God fills with these living waters and if there are holes and leaks in the form of sin, we can never hold these living waters in us.
But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.
C. And if we choose to forsake these living waters we will be ashamed.
O LORD, the hope of Israel, all that forsake thee shall be ashamed, and they that depart from me shall be written in the earth, because they have forsaken the LORD, the fountain of living waters.
So let us be cautious not only in filling our vessels but also keeping them full too.
2. Jesus confirmed to her that he is the Messiah they had waited for.
And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.
He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.
Compare these two verses... Jesus was the Messiah who was cut off from the land of the living.
When she could comprehend that Christ is the Messiah she left the water pot and goes into the city to bring people to him. (V26)
This is why the word of God tells us not to harden our hearts when we hear his voice today.
While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.
LIFE APPLICATION 3:
Christ speaks about a meat more precious than the physical one. Let us look forward for such a meat... ie. To do the will of God and to accomplish it in our lives.
The WORD of GOD says,
For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
So let us feed our spirit man with the Spiritual meat and drink. May the good Lord minister unto our Spirits more....