1. Jesus the next day goes forth into Galilee and meets Philip and calls him to FOLLOW him. (V43)
2. Philip was of the same place as that of Andrew and Peter. (V44)
3. Philip meets Nathanael and says that they have met the person whom Moses and Prophets have spoken spoken about and that, it is none but JESUS CHRIST of Nazareth. (V45)
4. The first impression of Nathaniel about Christ is that NO GOOD can come from Nazareth as it is a humble place. But Philip encourages him to come and see. (V46)
5. When Christ sees Nathanael, he look straight into his heart and tells that he is a person without guile. (V47)
6. Still Nathanael was not convinced and asked Christ when he knew him. Then, Christ said, his eyes saw Nathanael even when he was under the fig tree talking to Philip. (V48)
7. Then Nathanael believes and glorifies Christ as the SON of God and the King of Israel.
8. Jesus said... that they will see greater things from then on, than the prophesy they heard. (V50)
9. He also said that from then on, their eyes will be opened to see angels ascending and descending from the son of Man, thus inviting him into the deeper waters. (V51)
1. Jesus called Philip to follow him.
What does it mean to follow Jesus?
Following Jesus is hearing to the shepherd's voice and following him.
And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
What do we get following Jesus?
A. And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
If we follow Christ he will make us fishers of men.
B. If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.
We will be in the place where Christ will be.
As it is given in the verse below,
And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
We are seated in the heavenly places with Christ Jesus.
C. What does it take to follow Christ?
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
Life Application 2:
1. Every person who met Jesus had a new revelation about Christ. It was revealed to Philip that CHRIST was the one that Moses and the Prophets spoke about and he is the fulfilment of the Law. We can also comprehend that any person who had an encounter with Christ could not stop but talk about him to others.
2. The initial perception about Christ for each individual varies greatly till we come and see Christ personally, to have an encounter with him.
Life Application 3:
1. When we come to CHRIST everything hidden has to open up to the light of Christ. ( 47-49)
2. He knows who we are inside out (v47). He knows our physical presence. (V48). He knows our notions and motives as it is written in
Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.
What is man, that thou shouldest magnify him? and that thou shouldest set thine heart upon him?
And that thou shouldest visit him every morning, and try him every moment?
God sets his heart upon us. He visits us every morning. He looks deep into our hearts if we really love him. He tries us every moment. Truely, he knows us and he cares for us.
3. He knows us more intimately than anyone else.
But Zion said, The LORD hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me.
Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee.
Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.
I believe this is the intimacy that Nathanael felt with Christ.
4. Again, another revelation to the person with a personal relationship with God. God revealed himself to Nathanael as the King of Israel. (V49)
5. Jesus calls them to much deeper waters. He speaks about their spiritual eyes being opened to see things of heaven.
What is angels ascending and descending from the SON of man?
Let us turn our bibles to Genesis 28:12,17;
And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it.
And he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.
(If you are interested you can read the whole chapter to know more)
God reveals to me here as CHRIST being the GATE OF HEAVEN and the HOUSE OF GOD.
Hallelujah! Let the name of the LORD be glorified.
I pray that the spirit of God will minister unto you in a new way and Christ will reveal himself to you in a way that you have never seen before.
To GOD BE THE GLORY. Amen.