1. This book of Ephesians was written to the saints and the faithful people in Christ Jesus in Ephesus. So if you are a saint (a person washed and cleansed by the blood of Jesus Christ of Nazareth and baptized by water and spirit, wanting to live a holy and blameless life pleasing to God) this book is for you.
2. We are blessed with all the spiritual blessings in the heavenly places through Jesus Christ. (1:3). Worldly blessings may mean riches, health, fame, relationships and so on. But spiritual blessings are something different, which means if you can have them, all your worldly blessings will be added to you for free.
3. Here below are some spiritual blessings that God has provided for us. I pray that our eyes be opened to the truth so that we will be able to stand bold in our faith.
- 1. We are chosen even before the earth has been formed to be holy and blameless in love, through Christ Jesus. (1:4)
- 2. We have been predestined to be the adopted Children of the most high God, through Jesus Christ, according to his will.(1:5)
- 3. We are given Grace that enables us to be accepted. (1:6)
- 4. His Grace is so rich that we are redeemed and our sins are forgiven through the blood of Christ. (1:7)
- 5. At the right time, God will gather all things in heaven and on Earth through Christ as one. (1:10). (Means we will also be gathered as one in Christ Jesus). This is a Mystery (secret) unrevealed to an ordinary person, but made known to his chosen ones. (1:9)
- 6. We are predestined to be his inheritance. (Means whatever belongs to God we have a share too). (1:11), so that we are the praise of his glory.(1:12)
- 7. We are sealed by the Holy Spirit after we got saved hearing the word of God. (1:13)
- 8. This Holy Spirit is the witness for our inheritance, till we meet Jesus. (1:14)
- 9. This is the hope of our calling. This is the inheritance of his saints…(1:18) that we are seated in the heavenly places in Jesus Christ (2:6)
- 10. Now, where is Jesus Christ seated? The father of Jesus Christ through his mighty power raised Jesus from the dead and made him sit at his right hand in the heavenly places. (1:17, 19, 20)
- 11. This is far above all the principalities, powers, dominions (1:21, 6: 12) and every other name in the heaven and earth and the world to come.(1:21). Hence being seated in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, we also have the same authority over the principalities, dominions and powers of darkness through Christ.
- 12. All things are under the feet of Jesus and we are under his Lordship (1:22) for we as the church is the body of Christ and we are filled with his fullness (1:23)
- Hence as Paul prays, this should be our prayer everyday, that we will be filled with the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Christ and our eyes of understanding will be enlightened to know the hope of our calling and the riches we inherit in Christ.(1:17,18). To God be the glory. Amen.